Happy Valentine’s Day! A very appropriate day to be talking about loving yourself and your body.
It is definitely not easy becoming a mum – especially when you start to worry about all things that could potentially hurt you and your unborn child. But this is a great article resident beauty expert Nicole Groch wrote for her LivingSafe.com.au website about ways to pamper yourself safely.
Now go get the chocolate!
A Pregnant Woman’s Guide To Safer Beauty Treatments…Yes You Still Can Pamper Yourself!
So you are pregnant and you still want to look your best, but you are worried about whether your normal beauty treatments and products are safe to undergo and use during your pregnancy.
Well the good news is that there are some things you can safely do, while other beauty treatments your currently use may need to be modified.
The best advice I can give you is to err on the side of caution, after all you are growing the most incredible miracle inside you, your own beautiful baby!
Nurturing and protecting your baby as it grows in your womb, should be a very powerful incentive to start adopting the health benefits of a more natural, organic rich and healthy lifestyle!
Safe Skincare & Cosmetics Use During Pregnancy
Go simple and basic with your skincare, hair care, cosmetics and personal care products – there is no need to spend a lot of money. (Collette says: check out Little Innocents, Bask Aromatherapy and BasiK Organics as a start)
- Avoid synthetic chemicals and artificial colours and fragrances in all your beauty products – check here to see why: Synthetic Perfumes Making Us Sick
- Avoid any makeup or skincare product that contains Nano-particle Technology – these particles can be small enough to enter the bloodstream and are thought to cause lung damage, cell toxicity, damage DNA, and possibly even harm unborn children
- Choose natural and organic skincare, hair care and cosmetics
- Use pure organic cold pressed coconut oil as a moisturiser, makeup remover and hair treatment – it does everything! See Uses For Raw Coconut Oil and Raw Coconut Oil Health Benefits And Uses
- Where possible, also choose unscented skin and hair care products, even those fragrances that use pure essential oils
- If your natural products do contain essential oils, be sure to check what they are and whether they can be used safely during pregnancy
- Some other articles you may find helpful are Why Mineral Makeup Is Better Than Synthetic Makeup and Toxic Chemicals In Baby Personal Care Products & Choosing Safer Baby Skin Care
- Avoid aluminum deodorants
Hair Colouring Safely While Pregnant
If you absolutely have to colour your hair while your pregnant, then opt to use safer, more natural based products:
- Try 100% pure henna for something natural, and make sure you are in a very well ventilated area
- If you are going to use synthetic hair dyes and bleaches, the safest way to do this is to choose foil highlights or low-lights which avoids the product being applied directly onto your scalp, minimizing the skin to product contact
- Again, make absolutely sure you are in a well ventilated area when visiting a salon, or colouring at home
- Have a read of my article How To Colour Your Hair Naturally & Safely and Animal Testing & Toxic Ingredients In Hair Dyes. Learn How To Avoid Them
Sign up to Nicole’s newsletter if you want to receive more free, natural health and safety advice, with lots of helpful articles, tips and information to help you live a healthier, safer, more holistic, natural, eco-friendlier and cruelty-free, ethical lifestyle.